Bard High School
Bard High School is a completely free public screened high school where accepted students can take advanced classes for transferable college credit starting grade 11. The school is small and secure, with 2 separate locations; one in Queens and one in Manhattan.
Applying to Bard HS
The following is required of all students who apply to 9th or 10th grade to BHSEC Queens:
1. A grade point average of 85% or above
2. No more than 10 unexcused absences or 10 tardies for the school year
3. Completion of the BHSEC math and writing assessments
4. Complete the Department of Education’s High School Application
How to Apply
1. If you fit our admissions profile, reserve a seat at our next writing and math assessment. If applying to both schools, you only need to take the assessment once. Please do not register for an assessment at both Queens and Manhattan.
2. Bring a copy of your 7th grade report card (if applying to 10th grade, please bring your 8th grade final report card) on the day you are scheduled to take the assessment. The report card is for our records and will not be returned to you.
3. Rank BHSEC Manhattan and/or BHSEC Queens on your Department of Education (DOE) High School Application. Remember, if you are applying to both BHSEC Manhattan and BHSEC Queens, you need to list them as two separate choices. The Program Code for the Manhattan campus is M51A, and the Program Code for the Queens campus is Q74B.
4. Students who demonstrate strong abilities in their grades and the assessment will be invited to an interview at BHSEC. Not all students will be asked to interview at BHSEC. We will contact students by email if they are eligible for an interview. This is the final step in the BHSEC admission process.
Students who are applying from private or parochial schools are advised to speak with your school’s principal or headmaster to obtain a Department of Education High School Application.
Students may rank up to 12 non-specialized programs/schools on the Department of Education High School Application in addition to the specialized and audition high schools. Please note that students who apply to both BHSEC Manhattan and BHSEC Queens must list these as two separate choices. Please review program/school choices and carefully prioritize the list. We strongly recommend that you seek advice from your guidance counselor and review the NYC High School Directory before ranking programs.
What to Bring to the Bard Test:
Items to bring to the assessment session:
1. A copy of your final report card from your previous grade. Applicants applying to the 9th grade should bring their final 7th grade report card.* Applicants applying to the 10th grade should bring their final 8th grade report card.
2. A sharpened # 2 pencil.
3. A watch to pace yourself. The proctor will announce when five minutes remain.
*If your attendance is not included on your report card, please submit an attendance report as well.
Items that will be provided at assessment session:
1. A math grading sheet (Scantron sheet)
2. White lined paper for the essay
3. A folder which you will place your assessment, answer sheets, and report card. You will turn into the proctor prior to leaving the assessment site.
Items not to be used during the assessment:
2. Any electronic device (cell phone, media player, head phones, camera etc.)